The CBE ATA Collective Agreement 2020: What You Need to Know

The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) and the Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) have once again come to an agreement on the collective agreement for the 2020-2022 school years. This agreement affects over 5,000 teachers in Calgary public schools and outlines their employment conditions, salaries, and benefits.

One of the biggest changes in the 2020 agreement is the increase in salaries for teachers. The agreement includes a 2% increase in the first year, followed by a 2.5% increase in the second year, bringing the total increase to 4.5% over two years. This increase is in line with the current rate of inflation and ensures that teachers are compensated fairly for their work.

Another important change in the agreement is the addition of a new professional development day for teachers. This day will be used for professional development and learning opportunities, allowing teachers to stay up-to-date with the latest teaching techniques and technologies. This day will also give teachers the opportunity to work collaboratively with their colleagues, enhancing their teaching practices and improving student outcomes.

The agreement also includes changes to the teacher evaluation process. The new process aims to be more transparent and fair, with clear performance standards for teachers to meet. Teachers will also have the opportunity to participate in a self-evaluation process, allowing them to reflect on their teaching practices and identify areas for improvement.

In addition to these changes, the agreement also includes improvements to benefits for teachers. The CBE will now cover 100% of the cost of extended health benefits and dental care, ensuring that teachers have access to the healthcare services they need. The agreement also includes improvements to maternity and paternity leave, giving teachers more time to spend with their families.

It is important to note that this collective agreement has been reached during a difficult time for the education system. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought challenges to both teachers and students, and the agreement takes these challenges into account. The agreement includes provisions for teacher safety in the classroom, including access to personal protective equipment and a commitment to following public health guidelines.

Overall, the CBE ATA Collective Agreement 2020 is a positive step forward for teachers in the Calgary public school system. It ensures fair compensation for teachers, opportunities for professional development, and improvements to benefits. It also takes into account the challenges faced by teachers and students during the COVID-19 pandemic.